Where to Find Me

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Day 28: Emily Fayad - S.A. Swiniarski



First off I want to thank Lacey for inviting me to get involved with her “31 Books of Halloween”.  When Lacey first emailed me about being involved I was really excited.  Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I jumped at the chance to get in on the fun.  But what to write about!  There are so many wonderful books out there it was going to be hard for me to pick just one, but after much consideration I got it.  I decided to pick a book that may not be very well known, written by an author who may also be a new name to many.  The novel I speak of is “Raven” by S.A. Swiniarski and was published by DAW Books, Inc. in 1996.  Before stumbling upon this book, tucked away and all alone on a random book shelf, I had never heard of either the book or its author.  However, after reading the back I was hooked, and had to buy it.  Then after reading it, within a single night, it quickly became one of my favorite books and now I wish to give the author the credit he deserves.  Though I haven’t written a book review in many, many years -  I’m going to give it my best shot.

This novel starts off with us finding the main character, Kane Tyler, waking up in a dark, dismal storm tunnel with a horrible case of amnesia.  He feels weak, scared and very unsure of anything – including who he is and what happened to him.  Finding nothing on his person that would give him any useful clues, except for a lone hotel room key, he stumbles his way to the road above and begins his journey to finding the truth. This journey takes him from one horrifying discovery to another. Kane finds himself faced with a string of shady characters and the realization that nothing is what it seems.  His journey takes us on a path to the truth about who he is, the horrors of what happened to him, the realization of what he must do now and the undeniable reality of what he has become... a vampire.

An excerpt from “Raven” – page 26
“…my subconscious left me with a deep rage and a feeling that I had been in some sense, raped.
“Maybe I don’t want to remember.” I took a deep breath. “Stop talking to yourself in the dark, people will think you’re nuts.”
I groped for the light switch.   A frosty fluorescent flashed a few rattling strobes before it came on.
The bathroom was a mess.  Worst was the bathtub.  The water was black with dirt and blood.  Water had slopped over and drenched the hex-tile floor, streaking it red and brown.”

This novel takes you into the dark realms of paranormal horror – where vampires are real, the lines between good and evil are blurred, and sometimes the only way to get what you want is to become what you fear most.

This is truly a wonderful novel and the author takes a new approach, with new twists, and spins them with a well-known tale.  I want to wish everyone a very scary and wonderful Halloween.

Emily Fayad, aspiring writer
DarkRose2001.blogspot.com




**Note: There is a HUGE giveaway at the end of the month after Halloween!!! To enter for the giveaway, comment on the blogs. The more you comment, the bigger chance you have at winning!!! There will only be 1 winner, and the winner will be announced 1st week of November!!! Good Luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment