Where to Find Me

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 18: Jim Harold - Telling Ghost Stories Around The Campfire

When I began my podcast Jim Harold's Campfire in 2009 the concept was to have a program where listeners would call in and share ghost stories. I thought it would be a fun little lark to add to the other paranormal themed podcasts that I had been producing for several years over at jimharold.com.

Boy, was I wrong! Campfire has been much more. It has totally changed the way I think about paranormal phenomena. Since I was a kid, I had always loved programs like In Search Of . . .
and, later, Unsolved Mysteries. I was not and am not a true believer in every reported paranormal case but someone who was/is convinced that some reported paranormal experiences had something truly supernatural to them. Yet, I looked at the paranormal at arm's length . . . as a bauble that was interesting to look at but only from a distance.

I approached the addition of Campfire as something that would interest my audience and be fun in the process. However, in the process of doing this program and the subsequent book, I have learned that these experiences are deeply emotional for the people who have experienced them. And, when they happen they make an indelible impact on experiencers for a lifetime. 

Whether it is a young man who had his late father return in a dream to share a message or the tale of a young woman, who while playing with an Ouija board, taunted a spirit to show himself (he obliged in a most frightening way), or any of the hundreds of stories I have heard from people around the globe . . . they all point to one thing . . . these experiencers sincerly believe the supernaturals has touched them personally.

Who am I to question them? In fact, I believe nearly all of my callers are sincere and many are likely correct that they have experienced something from the other side. Campfire has made the paranormal personal for me.

I want to make it clear. I make no claim to be a counselor, advisor, or guru. I am merely fascinated by these topics but have never presented myself as an "expert" on the paranormal . . . if there is such a thing. However, I think having a place where people can call in and share their paranormal experiences in a non-judgmental way has created a type of a paranormal support group of the air where all are welcome to share their stories of the strange. It is a Campfire that I am proud of indeed.

This is why I wrote Jim Harold's Campfire: True Ghost Stories and was thrilled when it was published by New Page Books last fall. Knowing that many people have never heard of or are just learning about podcasts, I was thrilled to bring 70+ stories from the Campfire and share them with readers who may never tune in online. I hope you can get a chance to listen to my free programs (or even submit a story) at JimHarold.com (or iTunes) and the Campfire book (Kindle or Paperback), can be found at Amazon.com.

I'll leave with one last word of advice; whatever your stories please share them with friends and family . . . whether spooky, scary or just something special . . . because that is the thing isn't it. We are not immortal (at least in the physical sense), but one way to live on is through your stories (supernatural or otherwise) . . . pass them on.

Thanks Lacey & Happy Halloween to all!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Jim Harold:
Jim is the creator of The Paranormal Podcast and Jim Harold's Campfire. Both are among the top paranormal podcasts in the world. Jim's programs were downloaded 3.8 million times in 2011 alone.
Jim is also the author of Jim Harold's Campfire: True Ghost Stories and President of Jim Harold Media LLC.


1 comment:

  1. What a fascinating concept. I love that you are giving people a place to go to so that they can share their stories and experiences. Can't wait to check out the Campfire book :-D

    ReplyDelete